family history and lists of ancestors
by Daniel Charles Thomas (1950-2043)
My grandparents lived from the 1880s and 1890s into the 1950s and 1970s.
They left behind the farms and farming towns of their parents and grandparents' lives, and settled in, or near to, the great cities of the west: Seattle, San Francisco, and San Diego. There, they saw two world wars and the birth and growth of the 20th century modern world. They were born before radio and automobiles, and lived into the dawn of the atomic era. "O brave new world, That has such people in't."
- Margaret Holsinger (Payne) 1889-1984,
- Charles E. Payne 1879-1947,
- Nell Cogswell (Thomas) 1890-1963, and
- William M. Thomas (1888-1950).
Gandy / Holsinger / Harwood / Payne / Burgess / Cogswell / McCauley / Thomas
My great-grandparents were born in the 1840s and 1850s, and most lived into the 1900s and 1930s.
From their farms and small towns in Kansas, Iowa, Wisconsin and Ontario, they watched the war between the states (most of them were too young to enlist), and then they witnessed the industrial transformation of America.
- Mae Gandy (Holsinger) 1856-1935,
- William H. Holsinger 1853-1930,
- Sarah Harwood (Payne) 184_-1881,
- Lewis Cass Payne 1848-1894,
- Mary Burgess (Cogswell) 1851-1926,
- Frank Cogswell 1846-1911,
- Martha McCauley (Thomas) 1851-1927, and
- John J. E. Thomas 1846-193_.
Williams / Gandy / Walter / Holsinger / Tower / Harwood / Payne / unknown / Leet / Burgess / Duston / Cogswell / Latimer / McCauley / Morris / Thomas
My great-great grandparents were mostly born between 1800 and 1830, and most – not all – died before 1900. Almost all of them went west from Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia... and settled in Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Kansas; except for one branch up in Ontario, Canada.
And generations beyond...
: Daniel Charles Thomas :